Anthony students attend school in the Anthony-Harper Unified School District 361. Total enrollment for USD 361 is 856. Harper and Anthony both have K-8 grade schools and both attend Chaparral High School. Students can participate in FBLA, FFA, Battle of the Books and many other activities.
Anthony is known for agriculture, its excellent schools, medical facilities, assisted living facility, outdoor recreation, quality of life and community services. Anthony offers the best of small town values and strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens.
(Source- City of Anthony-www.anthonykansas.org)
Highway KS-2 runs through Anthony. Wichita and Wellington are an hour from Anthony.
Anthony Local Attractions/Activities
Anthony is located just 56 miles southwest of Wichita, Kansas. Anthony offers great schools, a thriving business district, a public library, active churches, a local hospital and nursing home, assisted living, a municipal airport, public swimming pool, annual hot air balloon fest, a 153 acre lake, 9-hole golf course with driving range and a feeling of community.
The Anthony Municipal Lake project was started in the fall of 1934 and was a Government and City project. The Government furnished $80,000 and the City of Anthony appropriated $24,000. The Lake was completed in May of 1935, and filled to overflowing with the first rain shortly after its completion. The project was known as the Spring Creek Reservoir and Waterworks Improvement. It covers an area of approximately eight (8) square miles and it is picturesque as well as a source of enjoyment and recreational pleasure to Anthony residents and also residents of surrounding neighboring towns and communities for young and old alike. It has an array of facilities located just one (1) mile northwest of Anthony. The 153-acre Lake features boating, fishing, camping, hiking, fellowship and leased shoreline cabin sites. Easily becoming a select weekend attraction for camping enthusiasts, the 416-acre tract provides a well-developed camper park. For a variety of visitors, the lake offers picnic tables, playground equipment, a paved go-cart-track, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, restrooms and showers, shelter houses, amphitheater/bandstand and a concrete walking path. There is also the popular Gun Club which supplies the sportsman with trap, skeet, pistol and rifle ranges and a Scout Retreat. Also located at the lake is the Southern Kansas Bow Hunter Club Range and facilities. Making the Scenic Park complete is a rolling nine-hole golf course overlooking the lake and dam. The 9-hole, par 35 course, boasting 5,000 square feet greens, challenges golfers year around.
(Source- City of Anthony-www.anthonykansas.com)
Founded in 1878, Anthony was named for George T. Anthony, Governor of Kansas from 1876-1878. Anthony is located 55 miles southwest of Wichita, surrounded by beautiful wheat fields in the heart of Kansas.
Rich in agriculture, Anthony was established on the edge of a beautiful valley on July 18, 1878, with a population of about 275. The petition to incorporate the city of Anthony was circulated on July 9, 1879, and the first election held in Anthony took place on July 19, 1879. Resulting from the election, the first Mayor of Anthony was Henry Holmes. The first Councilmen were: Jacob Hummel, G.W. Vickers, George P. Morgan, Simpson Van Winkle and David Hinsey. The first Police Judge was Jackson Brock, and the first appointed City Clerk was F.N. Hester.
As a new town, Anthony was known for having a high-quality water well for public use. From the Anthony Journal, August 22, 1878: "We challenge any town in the state to show a better public well than the one in Anthony. It is located in the center of the crossing of the two principal business streets, and it furnishes hundreds of gallons of pure and sparkling beverage to both man and beast."
Within the first few years of existence, Anthony was able to attract many different types of businesses. By 1880, Anthony had banking institutions, churches, schools, a hardware store, grocery store, drug store, acting physician/surgeon, proprietor, post office, butcher shop, blacksmith shop, court house, county-wide paper, saloon, furniture store, bakery, lawyer office, real estate office, general contractors, carpenter shop and a masonry shop. Anthony continues to thrive today.
In August of 1880, the City purchased its first piece of property - an area to build a jail (back then called a calaboose) next to the previously built County Courthouse - for $90. This jail was built of red rock and was located at the corner of Steadman and Bluff. In 1905, the County Courthouse - built of homemade brick and native soft red sandstone - began to disintegrate. Growing concerns for the building mounted, resulting in a county-wide Special Election on May 21, 1907. The voters approved the issuance of bonds for a new building. The building, which still stands today, was completed in September of 1908. The first marriage to take place in the County Courthouse occurred on September 16, 1908, between Pearl Mishler and Clint Parker, with Judge McPhee presiding.
(Source- City of Anthony-www.anthonykansas.org)